High-end car manufacturers install leather seat cover on car to make it perfectly sophisticated in look. Leather is a porous natural material. It can easily absorb perspiration, odor, dirt, oil, and grime. If proper care and cleaning are not given the leather seat will prematurely look ugly and old. There are two essential elements that may damage the leather seat—heat and sunlight. Both will quickly result to damage causing the leather to crack or fray. Therefore it needs careful handling and maintenance to keep the appearance always fresh.
Leather cleaning for the car seat depends on how often you drive the car and how long it is exposed to the sun. With these elements, you can decide to have your leather seat cleaned after three months. This helps in retaining the good quality and appearance of the leather. It needs attention and care otherwise it gets damaged if proper cleaning is not maintained. If you have time constraints and you are not able to do the cleaning, then the role of specialist services can be relied on.
Cleaning Car Seats in Your House
- To get you started, you should begin the task by vacuuming entirely the interior part of the car.
- Get a sponge or white cloth. Dip it into the water. Wipe off the dirt, filth and residue you see on the seat. Then with the clean towel, dry the surface of the leather.
- When you use leather cleaner, try it first on the hidden part of the seat. Use the sponge with the cleaner to be able to produce foam. It is necessary to keep this foam for about 12 minutes before wiping it away using dry towel.
- After testing the area, leave it for 24 hours. Go back and observe if there is staining. If the leather’s color has not changed, then use that leather cleaner for the rest of the car seats.
- Do again the third step, this time on the bigger portion. Always be sure that the foam will sit for twelve minutes and then wipe it off with a towel.
- Clean the surface areas of the leather including leather trim present in the car’s interior. After testing the leather cleaner, repeat the same procedure to the hard stain of the car’s seat.
- Use leather moisturizer. You may also spray the moisturizer on the leather sunscreen to have protective cover against dirt and dryness caused by the sun.
Some Cautions to Remember:
- When choosing a leather cleaning chemical, use only the ones recommended by the car manufacturer. You may call up the dealer and get advice on the best product to use. Car companies produce leather seats made of the animal’s skin, and each kind of leather has a special type of cleaner.
- Don’t buy and use a cleaner that is wax-based or oil-based, or anything that has salt or acid content. Those ingredients are very harmful and will only destroy the car’s seats. As needed, mix your own solution using 2 parts of linseed oil and 1 part of vinegar.
In time, the interior part of the car will eventually diminish. That is why car seats, especially the leather ones, need early care to prolong its attractiveness and usefulness. Cleaning can be accomplished in home using the above tips but carefulness is always needed in accomplishing the task.